Healthwise

Our Health Library information does not replace the advice of a doctor. Please be advised that this information is made available to assist our patients to learn more about their health. Our providers may not see and/or treat all topics found herein.

Toxic shock syndrome (TSS)

Toxic shock syndrome (TSS) is a rare, often life-threatening illness that develops suddenly after a bacterial infection and can rapidly affect several different organ systems, including the lungs, kidneys, and liver. Because toxic shock syndrome progresses quickly, immediate medical treatment is needed.

Toxic shock syndrome can be caused by Streptococcus pyogenes (group A strep) or Staphylococcus aureus (staph) bacteria. Symptoms of TSS usually include high fever, vomiting and diarrhea, a rash that looks like a sunburn, and signs of very low blood pressure and shock, including confusion, fainting, or dizziness.

Toxic shock syndrome can affect men, women, and children. The most familiar cases of TSS are related to tampon use, but TSS may also be a rare complication of chickenpox, flu and other respiratory infections, and wounds or injuries to the skin.

Due to the threat of the COVID-19 (Coronavirus), we are taking precautionary measures to protect our staff and patients. We are implementing a temporary NO VISITOR policy at this time. Only patients or patients and their guardians will be allowed into the office. Please note, this is not to inconvenience anyone! The virus is a very real threat and it is essential that we stay healthy in order to provide needed care for our patients. If you are sick, we ask that you CALL the office to speak with a nurse before you come in. The nurse will provide specific instructions for you. Please DO NOT enter the office if you are sick (upper respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, or flu like symptoms). We are closely monitoring the situation and will update you as circumstances change. Thank you for your understanding!!